_83259460_hi019607589

Maria De Villota F1 crash: Family to seek compensation

The family of Formula 1 test driver Maria De Villota are considering claiming compensation over her crash.
De Villota lost her right eye at Duxford Airfield while testing for Marussia and died a year later aged 33.
On Tuesday the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) said it would take no action against Marussia for the crash.
But the family said they would analyse the report “to evaluate the next legal steps to claim the corresponding civil compensation from those responsible”.
Manor Grand Prix Racing, which operated Marussia and now runs the Manor team, has declined to comment on the HSE’s decision or the possible legal claims.
Maria de Villota
De Villota was unveiled as a Marussia test driver four months before her crash
De Villota, the daughter of 1980s F1 driver Emilio de Villota, was injured when the MR-01 race car she was driving hit a support truck on 3 July 2012.
She had been driving at up to 200mph (322km/h), but was travelling considerably slower at the time of the crash.
It was the first time the Spaniard had driven the car for Oxfordshire-based Marussia, which folded in 2014.
Despite losing her eye, she was cleared to drive again in early 2013, but died the following October “as a consequence of the neurological injuries she suffered”.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>